Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Socially Active Trend

It seems to me that being an advocate for the poor or a socially active person is becoming more and more trendy these days in America. You can find socially and politically active young people on university campuses all across the country who are calling for social change. People are expressing their discontentment with what are very real social injustices. There are more and more groups forming that get together for weekly "pot-luck dinners" to discuss these things. In the aftermath of "Katrina" I expect more and more people will be verbally expressing their anger and discontentment over the social injustices in which poor face, and that these advocates for the poor will become more visible then they already are.

I love that this is happening, however I do sometimes find myself getting a bit annoyed by some of these socially active types. My concern is that many of these people are involved in social justice issues simply because it has become a trendy thing amongst certain groups of people. Furthermore, it seems like not to many people are truly willing to "put their money where their mouth is" and prophetically act out the scene in which they are describing.

It is one thing to go to a three day conference on social justice issues, but it is an all together separate thing to take the much more costly path of voluntarily re-locating oneself to live among the poor (who were without a doubt being discussed at the conference) in inner-city America (or elsewhere in the world) for the next five, ten, fifteen or forty years.

It is one thing to verbally speak out against the inequalities that the poor face in regards to education and health care but it is an all together separate thing to give up a higher paying and more prestigious job to go and teach in a run-down under-funded inner-city public school, or to start and operate a health care clinic for the poor when you could be making six figures as a doctor in nice suburban hospital.

I have some friends who most people would label "raging liberals," and although I agree with them on several issues that revolve around fighting poverty, social injustices, etc., I do find myself sometimes getting annoyed by the apparent lack of action that these let's fight social injustice types seem to be willing to put forth.

It seems that nowadays many people are game for advocacy work, but few are game for taking the much more costly paths. In my opinion a reason for this is because of how trendy it has become to wear a T-shirt with an icon of Che Guevara's face on it, go to a rally, write some letters to Senators and then return back home until the next one roles around in six months. If you are going to do that, I would encourage you to at least go out and buy a good book (and read it!) on Ernesto "Che" Guevara so you actually know a bit about his life and who he was instead of just thinking that he was some cool countercultural dude who was fighting against - you know man - against like, like, stuff...

6 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Blogger Steve said...

OK--the Che Guevara thing has been bothering me lately. I thought maybe I was missing something...

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that there is a lot of talk that happens these days without much action to back it up. I wonder how much of that is tied to the sense that there is so much information out there but so little guidance as to how interact with it. We have become a culture that values "creating awareness" (how often I hear that as the main purpose of many justice-oriented conferences...and sometimes even from people who are part of the projects I oversee...) without having the same value for challenging people to do something about what they learn. And with so much information, it can seem overwhelming to try and figure out what to respond to and how to do that.

If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill," and yet you do ot supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead. (James 2: 15-17)

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Matthew Pascal said...

Thanks for the thoughts Heidi. I think that you are correct in saying that there really is an overwhelming amount of information out there which can contribute to some peoples difficulties in choosing where and how to respond to the poor.

I would say that "creating awareness" is extremely important, but we must also make sure that the next step is taken, and that our words are followed by actions.

I'd love to hear what thoughts you have as to how mission organizations, justice-oriented conference organizers, churches, etc. could be more effective in not only "creating awareness" but also in getting people out there who are actually clothing the naked, feeding the hungry, caring for the orphans and widows, and preaching the Good News to the poor. Surely if that was a focus of Jesus during His earthly ministry, it should be ours as well.

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if we could work on not feeling like we have to know everything in order to do something, and on convincing ourselves that we do have the ability to in some way make a difference, there could be more living out. Not that I am at all advocating for uninformed, unwise action, but I think we tend to err on the side of wanting to have everything figured out before we take any steps forward. I also think that it's easy to let ourselves be convinced that we have no power, no way to actually make a difference in the world.

I think that it is possible to develop conferences, churches, missions organizations, etc. that can do a better job of balancing talk and action. Conferences can build their schedules with an experiential component, taking people out of the sanctuary and into the streets. This would also help to build relationships between ministries doing social action (which seem to usually exist outside of the "normal" church) and churches or university organizations. I can't really think of any church that would do this, but I think it would be amazing if a church congregation would take one Sunday morning a month and, instead of listening to the pastor preach, they went and served breakfast at a homeless shelter or visited a nursing home. Or small groups, instead of doing book studies (most of which, at least at my church, seem to resemble self-help groups) could spend their evening tutoring at-risk children. My church alone has enough people that if everyone who came on Sunday morning would go, we could visit every hospital, nursing home, and homeless shelter in Madison and still have enough people left over to set up a breakfast meal in the park where many homeless and addicted spend the day. What would it take for this to happen? A re-understanding of what true faith is, a willingness to move beyond the comfortable confines of a group that they know thinks and feels the same way they do, and a group of people with enough energy and conviction to stand up and speak about this over and over and go out and do it on their own until others come to join them.

And honestly, what I see in myself is that I sometimes spend so much time talking and trying to convince other people to care that I spend all my energy on that and end up feeling like I have nothing left with which to do anything, and the other person's not convinced and I'm exhausted...and really, what might speak to them more would be if I would just go out and do something.

This is really long, and I have more thoughts but no more time. I will try to get back to this...

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if anyone will notice that I came back to this topic after so long, but as I'm preparing for a seminar this afternoon I remembered one of my favorite quotes that I think ties in well with this discussion of the sexiness of beng a social justice junkie...

People think that to be just is a virute, deserving honor and rewards; that in doing righteousness one confers a favor on society. No one expects to receive a reward for the habit of breathing. Justice is as much a necessity as breathing is, and a constant occupation." --Abraham Heschel, from The Prophets

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Matthew Pascal said...

Heidi - I noticed your new comment but possibly onle because I have an email notification thingy that lets me know when new comments are posted. But I'd say there is a pretty good chance that not too many others will notice that the conversation continues...

You know, while I'm typing this I am wondering how many people actually even read the comments that others leave, and also why so few people actually enter into the realm of posting comments. I think that blogs would be so much more profitable for everyone (those who write them as well as those who read them) if people would really seek to try and enter into dialogue through the posting of comments.

On another note - did you like the book you quoted from? I've got it but haven't read it yet. Actually that's not completely true - I read the first few chapters but stopped due to the fact that I had about 371 other things going on at that time which lead to me not having an adequate amount of time to add in another book, let alone one with 6hundred and something pages...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home